The church is of two dates and has a late Saxon tower rising above the Early English style rebuilding od 1861, which is clustered around its base. The tower forms the crossing between the nave and the chancel and there is also a transepf or porch to the South. The Victorian rebuilding was by James Fowler, a notable local architect of the time.

The church is built primarly of local ironstone and limestone; ironstone would have been used for the origional Saxon church. Its roofs are a mixture of plain clay tiles and Welsh slate, Inside the nave is quite plain and has exposed red brick walls with bands of buff coloured brick and limestone. This doesn't prepare you for the first glimpse of the chancel, which is covered in elaboratly patterned Minton tiles. Furnishings remain intact and include; a Vistorian font; full set of pitch pine pews; stone pulpit on a marble base and various pieces of oak furniture.

The recent repair work was carried out by Arthur Wood & Son of Alford under the supervision of Mr Lee Holmes and cost approximatly £350,000 started in October 2005. The project is now complete; the church has been fully resored. The repair work suffered from heavy delays due to the bats which has made their nests in the buildin. As bats are a protected species a licence had to be obtained before any work could be carried out.